Think You May Have Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic Syndrome is commonly referred to as Syndrome X or Pre-Diabetes. It is perhaps the most dangerous of all health conditions because untreated it can lead to diabetes, heart disease and early death. Being just “a little overweight” is enough over time in many of us to lead to metabolic syndrome.
If you’re not sure what to ask our doctors, here are some basic questions:
- Are the symptoms I’m experiencing now related to metabolic syndrome or some other condition?
- What kinds of tests do I need to best manage my condition?
- What else can I do to improve my health?
- What other options do I have to manage the conditions that cause metabolic syndrome?
- How do best manage all of these conditions together?
- What restrictions do I need to follow?
One More Thing to Think About
We’re seeing more and more metabolic syndrome in younger patient populations. And one of the first symptoms they experience is peripheral neuropathy. Because nerve tissues are especially vulnerable to damage from diseases that affect the body’s ability to transform nutrients into energy or produce some of the components of cell repair (think diabetes), nerve damage and the resulting peripheral neuropathy is very common.
Classic symptoms of peripheral neuropathy are:
- Tingling and/or burning in hands and feet
- Neuralgic-like pains
- Loss of the sense of touch or an inability to feel vibration
- Temperature changes in the flesh – do your extremities feel excessively warm or cold?
- Serious sleep disturbances with resultant depression or side effects from pain medication
If you have suspect a diagnosis of metabolic syndrome and are now experiencing any of these symptoms, you don’t have to just live with it.
Please call us to schedule a visit at 781-659-7989 today!